These Thai Sticky Meatballs are so good that you will want to make them over and over again. It has a perfect balance of flavors including: sweet, savory & a spicy kick. I always know when I make an outstanding dish and “score points” with the hubby because he will say: ”is this healthy” He is implying that it is too tasty to be healthy:-) You can still pack a flavorful punch with 93% lean beef. To round out this meal for a complete dinner or lunch, try it with my Asian Cole Slaw with Peanut Cilantro Dressing. <–CLICK FOR LINK
****Tip**** For making ahead……make the meatballs as directed and store in fridge. The day that you want to serve…whip up the Sticky sauce and simmer your meatballs in the sauce as it thickens. For my son whom doesn’t eat spicy food; I took a few meatballs out for him and he ate them with a side of edamame/corn succotash (avail @ Trader Joes) Next time, I will leave out the sriracha and make him a special sticky sauce, separate from our spicy sauce Next time, I will also try these with ground turkey to make them even healthier!!
Enjoy these very large meatballs @ 2 meatballs per serving for 7 points!! Complete the meal with Asian Cole slaw for a 9 point meal.
Makes 12 Meatballs. (2 meatballs for WW points + 7 ) Serving per Meatball: Weight Watchers Points + 4 ~ Calories 141.9 ~ Fat 5.9 g ~ Carbs 8.2 g ~ Fiber 0.5 g ~ Protein 13.6 g
- 24 oz pkg of Ground Beef 93% Lean
- 1 Tbsp of Sesame Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs (I used Italian seasoning, since that’s all I had)
- 1 tsp Ginger Root; minced
- 3 cloves of Garlic; grated (I used my garlic press)
- 1/2 cup chopped Scallions
- 4 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 4 oz fire roasted red pepper in a jar; chopped
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- ……….Sticky Sauce……..
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Tbsp Hoison Sauce
- 1 tsp – 2 tsp Sriracha Hot Sauce (depends on how spicy you like it)
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Ginger root, minced
- 2 Tbsp Tamari (or Soy) sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili paste with basil leaves (Maesri brand in a jar)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside
- In a large bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients.
- Form large meatballs (you can use an ice cream scoop) & place on baking pan
- Cook for 12-18 minutes until the meatballs are browned on outside and no longer pink on the inside
- …………While the meatballs are cooking……………
- Over medium heat add all the sauce ingredients into a small sauce pan and whisk until well combined.
- Once sauce boils, bring to a low/simmering heat and mix or whisk occasionally, for approx 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and you can coat the back of a spoon
- Once meatballs are cooked, dip each meatball into sauce to coat completely and put on serving dish. Pour/spoon the remaining sauce over the meatballs.
Sheena’s Culinary Tuesdays www.culinarytuesdays.com