“Skinny” Spinach Mac & Cheese can be enjoyed as a side dish or a meal. How is it “skinny”? I re-vamped the recipe to include whole wheat elbow macaroni, chicken broth, reduced fat cheese & skim milk. It does not taste or look skinny….. So give it a try! Don’t worry; we won’t let anyone know that it is healthy for them; it will be our secret 😉
Makes 7 servings. Approximately 1/2 cup per serving. Nutrition: Weight Watchers Points + 4~ Calories 133.6 ~Fat 5.1 g ~Total Carbs 12.8 g ~ Fiber 1.7 g ~ Protein 10.2 g
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 1 cup fat free skim milk
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 wedges The Laughing Cow Cheese; low fat swiss
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 8 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/4 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Cheddar Cheese (Sargento)
- 1 cup dry Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta (cook according to pkg; until al dente)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add onions and garlic to a large saute pan over medium heat; that has been sprayed with Olive Oil cooking spray. Saute until onions are clear.
- Whisk the flour and milk together in a bowl and add to the pan, continue to whisk in pan until mixture thickens.
- Add Chicken Broth, cheese wedges, spinach, dijon mustard, paprika and salt. Cook until everything comes together and is creamy; stir occasionally
- Take off stove. Add cheddar cheese and pasta, combine well
- Transfer into a baking dish and top with panko & parmesan
- Cook covered for 30 minutes
- Increase Oven Temperature to 500 and cook uncovered for 10 minutes for the top to brown slightly.