Chicken Curry is an easy breezy dish to make on a weeknight. I picked up some curry powder from Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago because I had received several emails & questions regarding how to use curry powder in lieu of garam masala. I normally don’t use curry powder but I bought it and used it in this dish due to popular request…… I do have to say that I can see using curry powder if you don’t really use a lot of tumeric, mustard, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg & saffron on a daily basis. The chicken curry was quite tasty; I did have to add more cumin powder for more of an “ethnic” taste.
NOTE: there is no red pepper in this recipe because my son does not eat anything spicy. If you want to make it spicy add 1/2 tsp of red chili powder with the onion mixture OR you can serve with achar, chutney or hot sauce.
**If you are cooking this to warm up later in the week–> Completely cook according to directions, let cool & store in a glass container that you can easily put in the microwave when you are ready to eat it. Chicken Curry re-heats really well!
Nutrition per drumstick: Weight Watchers Points + 3 ~ Calories 111.7 ~ Total Fat 3.7 g ~ Carbs 5.4 g ~ Fiber 0.8 g ~ Protein 12.5 g
- 5 Skinless Chicken Drumsticks (aprox 1.5 lbs) * sprinkle raw chicken on both sides w salt & black pepper; according to your taste *
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 cup of Cilantro for garnish
- In a medium sized deep saute pan over medium heat:
- Spray with Olive Oil Cooking Spray and brown both sides of chicken for approx 2 min each side and remove from pan.
- Add EVOO, onion, garlic, ginger and all seasonings. Saute until onions are tender.
- Add crushed tomatoes & chicken broth; mix until well combined with onion/seasoning mixture
- Add browned chicken to pan and bring to boil.
- Cover and cook for approx 20 min; stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with Cilantro
- Serve Immediately OR Store for later in the week