with basmati rice and a little cilantro garnish
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken thighs (4 oz each)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 1 inch ginger root (grated)
- 5 garlic cloves (grated, I use my garlic press)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (I use Contadina)
- 1 can of tomato paste (6 oz)
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 bag of chopped spinach ( approx 8 oz)
- 2 tbsp of salt (add more to desired taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp of cumin, ground coriander and turmeric
- 2 tsp of garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of Roopak’s Karahi chicken masala
Add oil, onions, garlic, ginger and salt to deep non-stick pan and saute on medium heat until onions start looking a little clear. Do NOT brown onion mixture. Then add 3 cups of chicken broth, bring to boil and add spinach. Bring to boil again, cover and reduce heat, simmering for 10 minutes. Open & add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste along with the rest of the seasonings, once it starts to boil add chicken and cover pan again; cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove cover and increase heat to medium/high. Mix curry for 5 minutes while on med/high heat to reduce liquid. Add more salt to desired taste.
This is where I remove a portion for my young son and then add the optional seasonings to increase the level of spice for my husband and I.
Serving size is 1 cup and this makes 7 servings.
Each cup is only 3 points +
serve with 2/3 cups of basmati rice, naan or roti………